Monday, March 10, 2014

Reference manager

I have already written a little bit about the reference manager I use, but I will add some thing I like in Mendeley. Mendeley as you know is a free reference manager, which allows you to add your articles, articles you read and cite. As you are adding new articles, books into to your collection, you can create different folders, groups for articles, depending on their topic. I found this very useful when your library starts to grow - you have more ways to organize everything. Next time you want to find some article and you remember only the topic and name of the author you don't have to scan all papers of this author, you can just search in this folder.
Another feature I love is the citation plugin in Microsoft word. By typing the name of the author and choosing from the list of his papers you can create your reference list in just a few minutes... Also, it will be already formatted according to the standards of the scientific journal(although not all them are presented in Mendeley, but you can create your own template).
What else? Probably I will start to share my collection to my colleagues, because sometimes you need to share some paper, or tell them what interesting paper you are reading now.
So, I don't know if I will change the reference manager in future, but for this moment I'm totally happy with Mendeley.

1 comment: