Monday, March 17, 2014

Bad graph, good graph...

Here are the examples I found. Nothing special, standard mistakes in graph design. Let's start with an example of bad graph.


Of course, it's only my opinion, maybe you will think contrarily. But why I think this is a bad graph? Because it is quite difficult for me to understand. In my opinion, this is the first and main criteria for an illustration. Yeah, after 2 or 3 minutes it became more clear, what is going on, but still I had a strange feeling that something left unclear. For example, this diversity of colors, mixing in the center not helping, not at all... They are just creating a chaos in my mind :). Besides, some information is impossible, well not impossible, but hard to obtain from this graph - what is the distribution of children who changed their religion.

The good graph:



Obviously it's a different type of graph and cannot be compared directly, but I like that it's clean, easy to understand. The scale is the same for whole graph, the size of letters is appropriate. The space is used well, without blank regions. 

So, these are my examples of good and bad illustration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment